Otto Durrschmidt 1898 Markneukirchen Violin

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
abby0221

Otto Durrschmidt 1898 Markneukirchen Violin

Beitrag von abby0221 »

Hello,

My name is Abby and I'm from the USA. I apologize for my inability to speak German. I purchased an 1898 Otto Durrschmidt violin, and have been trying to trace its lineage and long history. I have found quite a bit of information on the Durrschmidt family, but an Otto Durrschmidt violin is not a common occurance, and the amount of information available is severly limited. If anyone has any information at all on this instrument, maker, or family I would love to hear it. I've included photos to reference.
Maker Label
Maker Label
Refurnishing Label
Refurnishing Label
Front
Front
Back
Back

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Otto Durrschmidt 1898 Markneukirchen Violin

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hello Abby,
this is not a problem with communication, if you can accept my poor English.
To my knowledge there was no violin maker with the name Otto Dürrschmidt. Carl Otto Dürrschmidt, on the other hand, is the progenitor of the Dürrschmidt dynasty of bow makers, who are still making bows today, and the workshop is just round the corner. See
https://www.bogenbau-otto-duerrschmidt. ... dition.htm
By the way, there is no information about Fred Bothmer from New York either.
The label is most probably wrong, as you can see from the painted letters. Germans don't usually forget the umlaut dashes in the ‘Ü’, and the capital letter ‘A’ is also written like this in English-speaking countries, as is the number 1 without the stroke.
From what you can see in the photos, however, the violin could still come from Markneukirchen or the surrounding area. However, it is almost impossible to tell which company made it.
Best regards
Udo

abby0221

Beitrag von abby0221 »

Hi Udo,

Thank you so much for your reply. You make great points about the label. I haven't been able to find anything on Fred Bothmer either. As for it possibly still been made in Germany, I have a suspicion that it may have been. Have you ever seen this on an instrument before? Does this help to identify the manufacturer or the time period it would've been made in?
"Germany" etched into the wood under the button
"Germany" etched into the wood under the button

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi Abby,

The ‘Germany’ stamp is not unique to one special manufacturer or dealer. It could well be that these stamps were only applied to export instruments.

There is little doubt in my mind that this violin was made in Vogtland, roughly 100 years ago. But you can only be sure when you hold the instrument in your hands. The varnish surface, the regional type of maple wood or the interior work can hardly be documented photographically. However, these and other similar features are very important for identifying the origin.

I don't know where you live, but perhaps you could bring the violin to Markneukirchen when you are travelling sometimes. There are many workshops here, we will be happy to help you - and of course the museum is a good first port of call.

Best regards

Udo Kretzschmann

abby0221

Beitrag von abby0221 »

Hi Udo,

My apologies for the delayed response. I am hoping to come to Markneukirchen all the way from America this summer. I would love to have you look at my violin!

I was also trying to think of creative ways to offset the price of the trip through performing. Do you know of any performance venues or spots in Markneukirchen where I could play to help cover some of my trip expenses?

Thank you for all of your help. I look forward to eventually meeting you.

All the best,
Abby

Antworten